Honolulu's Step-By-Step Cockroach Prevention Guide
It's no secret that cockroaches are dirty pests, but do you know just how dirty they are? This pest is known for living in some of the most unsanitary conditions, such as sewers and dumpsters, where they pick up pathogens that they can spread once they infest.
Cockroaches can also cause asthma and allergies in children, which is just another reason among many as to why cockroaches are dangerous. Living in such places means that cockroaches have robust immune systems; they are challenging to prevent and eliminate. Another reason is that they will eat just about anything, making your home a feast for these invaders.
Have Cockroaches Already Found Their Way Inside?
If you are worried about cockroaches, an excellent place to start is establishing if you have a problem already. You can do this by looking for the following signs:
- Damage to food packaging
- A damp and unpleasant odor, which will become worse as the infestation does
- Dark smear marks where cockroaches are the most active
- Shed skin and dark brown egg capsules
- Droppings that can resemble coffee ground or black pepper
As a Honolulu resident, you should know you may not see cockroaches for some time if you have an infestation because they are nocturnal, good at hiding, and are fast, avoiding people. However, several of the signs above will be present if you do have an infestation. Read on to find out what to do should you notice any of these signs.
No Cockroaches? Start With Prevention
If there are no signs of a problem yet, a good place to start is with prevention. You should perform these prevention steps regularly to help keep your home from becoming a conducive environment for this pest.
Prevention steps include:
- Deep clean, including under heavy appliances and the back of cupboards.
- Declutter your home to remove any potential harborage areas
- Cockroaches can survive off the smallest crumbs, which is why you should sweep and wipe down services daily to prevent crumbs and spills from sitting.
- Store open food properly. The best method is using air-tight containers that will keep pests out.
- Store trash correctly by using bins with tight-fitting lids.
- Identify and seal off any potential entry points, including cracks in the foundation, windows, and doors that don't have screens and any other gaps pests can squeeze through.
- Address moisture issues such as leaking pipes and faucets, high humidity, and water-damaged wood. Make sure your home has proper ventilation and use humidifiers, especially in damp areas like the basement, garage, and crawl space.
Keep in mind; prevention is not always 100%. This is particularly true for cockroaches because they are a cunning and opportunistic pest that will take advantage of the factors your home offers them.
Cockroaches? Call In Professionals
If the answer is yes, and you see cockroaches or signs of cockroaches, the best thing to do is to contact the professionals at Pest Tech Hawaii right away.
Our expert cockroach control process includes:
- An inspection of the property to look for entry points, damage, areas of moisture, and harborage sites.
- Using the inspection findings, we will develop a custom treatment plan. Our safe and effective treatment methods use Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Techniques.
Don't let this dangerous pest live in your Honolulu home. Contact us today at Pest Tech Hawaii to learn more about our home pest control services and get started with an inspection. With the help of our experts, you can have a pest-free home.
We use pest tech for our termite treatment and pest control. Great termite treatment crews and super quick and efficient pest control. They have the most competitive pricing and not over priced.