Mosquito Bites: What Everyone In Honolulu Ought To Know
July 30, 2023
Why Mosquitoes Bite Some More Than Others
Believe it or not, those who claim “mosquitoes don’t bite me” are likely telling the truth. Scientists have determined that some people are more likely to receive bites than others.
The following factors may help explain why you come inside with itchy bites and other people you were with have none:
- Blood type: Mosquitoes prefer to bite people with type O blood.
- Carbon dioxide: This gas attracts mosquitoes, and some people exhale more of it than others.
- Exercise: Strenuous exercise releases substances like ammonia and lactic acid and increases your temperature, all of which attract mosquitoes.
- Clothing color: While this sounds unlikely, it is true, mosquitoes are more likely to see and bite someone wearing darker colors.
- Beer: Scientists aren’t sure why, but drinking even one 12-ounce beer will make you more attractive to mosquitoes.
If you are a mosquito magnet, it could have something to do with the above factors. But reducing the mosquito population in your yard can help limit the bites you will get. Contact us today at Pest Tech Hawaii to learn how our mosquito control services can help keep these biting pests away from your home.
Warning Signs To Watch For When Bitten By A Mosquito
Mosquitoes are disease vectors, so when they bite a person or animal with an illness, they can pass it along to the next person they bite. Not every mosquito is necessarily carrying a disease, and not every species transmits illnesses, but some common mosquitoes in this area do have the potential to spread pathogens.
Some diseases spread by mosquitoes in Honolulu include dengue and chikungunya. If you or your family exhibit any warning signs of illness, such as fever, body aches, severe headaches, and any signs of infection after getting a bite, checking in with the doctor is a good idea.
Fewer mosquitoes on your property mean fewer chances for anyone to get sick. If you would like more information on reducing the number of these biting pests in your yard, contact us today at Pest Tech Hawaii. Our technicians are here to help you protect your family from the dangers of mosquitoes.
Fool-Proof Ways To Protect Yourself From Mosquito Bites
Because of the risks that come with mosquitoes, it is always a good idea to use extra precautions around these pests, especially in areas with a lot of activity.
Here are some effective tricks to prevent mosquitoes coming near you:
- Avoid wearing dark colors, and wear long sleeves, pants, shoes, and socks when hiking or spending time near standing water.
- One of the best ways to repel mosquitoes is to use insect repellent containing DEET.
- Avoid going outdoors around dawn and dusk when mosquitoes are most active.
- Try to avoid activities in damp, shady areas where mosquitoes are prevalent.
- Use scentless lotions, deodorants, and self-care products.
Working with a professional company that offers mosquito control can significantly reduce the population of mosquitoes in your yard and the number of bites you will get. The pros at Pest Tech Hawaii can determine the best products to keep mosquitoes away from your property. Contact us today to learn more about our mosquito control services in Honolulu.
Protect Yourself And Your Family With Professional Mosquito Control
You deserve a yard you can enjoy and feel safe in this summer. By far, the best way to control mosquitoes near your Honolulu home is to work with a local company that understands the needs of Honolulu families.
The technicians at Pest Tech Hawaii strive to deliver service with honor, integrity, and respect in the true spirit of “Aloha.” Contact us today to learn how we can protect your family from mosquitoes or request an estimate.