What Are The Easiest Ways To Get Rid of Roaches In Oahu?
August 30, 2021 - Cockroaches
Cockroaches are unwanted social insects that plague homes and businesses in the Oahu region. There are estimated to be 19 different species across Hawaii. Cockroaches are problematic once they enter a structure and locate food sources because they leave a chemical trail of pheromones that attracts many others.
Common Cockroaches In Oahu
The most common types in this region include:
- American cockroach: The larger American cockroach often measures up to two inches long and appears in yellow, red, and brown colors.
- German cockroach: The German cockroach is among the smallest types and has a yellow or light brown appearance and a pair of distinctive stripes.
- Brown-banded cockroach: The brown-banded cockroach is a smaller and less common species that will climb to upper areas of rooms and consume anything, including paper, cardboard, and glue.
The Potential Health Risks Associated With Cockroaches
Cockroaches commonly travel through trash and other filthy areas and are exposed to parasites and bacteria. Some of the known conditions that cockroaches spread include salmonellosis, cholera, E.coli infection, and many others. Cockroaches shed their skin and produce significant excrement, which can cause allergic reactions.
Why Are Cockroach Infestations So Difficult To Eliminate?
Over the years, cockroaches have demonstrated the ability to adapt to most environments. They can survive without food for weeks and are very resilient to most traditional insecticides. They tend to hide away during the day and search for food sources at night.
Cockroaches have a small body that allows them to pass through tiny openings to indoor areas and are surprisingly fast when encountered by people. They are omnivorous scavengers that will eat most foods we consume and decaying animals and plants.
Tips For Prevention
Our team has put together some suggestions to help you keep cockroaches out of your home:
- Cockroaches invade properties that allow them easy access to food; therefore, leftovers should be placed in the refrigerator or durable sealed containers.
- Keep countertops wiped clean, regularly sweep the floors in kitchen areas, and avoid leaving dirty dishes out overnight.
- Trash cans containing food scraps should have a tight-fitting lid.
- Inspect the property’s exterior for crevices near the foundation or gaps around windows or doors, fill them with sealant, or apply weatherstripping or door sweeps where needed.
- Promptly fix any leaks that can be a water source.
Properly Responding To Cockroach Intrusions
Many property owners underestimate how rapidly a minor cockroach problem can develop into a massive infestation that expands throughout a home. Some individuals attempt to use do-it-yourself options from local stores, including baiting stations, traps, and foggers. Many of these products will only generate short-term results, as these pests will retreat deep inside walls or below floors to avoid exposure to the chemicals.
The licensed specialists at Pest Tech Hawaii use the Integrated Pest Management approach when targeting cockroaches and other troublesome pests that invade homes. We start by conducting a detailed assessment of the interior and exterior areas of the property to determine the possible points of entry, the extent of the infestation, and any other property conditions that make the premises vulnerable to future pest infiltrations. Our technicians will create a specialized treatment plan and always diligently follow up.
Leading Provider Of Pest Control Solutions In Oahu
For many years now, the team of professionals with Pest Tech Hawaii has been assisting residential and commercial clients facing invasions from ants, bed bugs, rodents, and many other undesirable and potentially dangerous pests. As a locally-owned company, we strive to ensure the safety of our customers, their pets, and the local ecosystem. Many of the products we now deploy have been endorsed by industry-leading agencies for both their overall safety and effectiveness. Keep in mind that we stand behind the quality of our work with a satisfaction guarantee. We look forward to speaking with you to schedule an onsite inspection.