Cockroach Identification & Prevention
What are cockroaches?
Cockroaches are insects that have an oval-shaped, flat body and are dark in color. Their body shape and color help them to hide during the day. At night, these nocturnal pests emerge from their hiding spots to search for food. Though most cockroach species live outside, well away from people, a few species have adapted quite well to living close to people and have become a major pest threat inside the homes in our Honolulu service area.
Two species of cockroaches that we need to be most concerned with in Hawaii are the German cockroach and American cockroach.
- The German cockroach is the smallest and most common household invading roach. Over time, these insects have learned that our houses provide them with warmth, humidity, and food sources.
- The American cockroach is the largest household invading cockroach. While this species primarily lives outside, they also regularly move into our homes after being attracted by food odors or sources of moisture.
Are cockroaches dangerous?
The cockroach’s ability to spread diseases is the biggest reason these pests are so unwanted in our homes. On their bodies and in their saliva and excrement, they carry and spread bacteria, pathogens, and parasites to surfaces, food, and people that can make us quite ill. Shed skins and piles of excrement create allergens that trigger allergies, skin rashes, and asthma attacks.
Here are some other problems associated with cockroaches when they get into our homes:
- A musty oder develops in areas with cockroach infestations
- Their excrement stains rugs, upholstered furniture, and walls
- Cockroaches will chew on and damage clothing, rugs, upholstery and other fabrics. Cockroaches can also damage papers, books, and wallpaper
Why do I have a cockroach problem?
Cockroaches have become a problem on your property because they have discovered it is providing them with their basic needs or because you have unintentionally introduced them.
American cockroaches often find their way inside our homes on their own, through cracks they discover in the foundation or spaces around doors or windows. Drains and vents are other common entry points. Food odors and moisture are very attractive to these roaches.
German cockroaches live primarily indoors, so their main mode of transportation is hitchhiking. After crawling into boxes, deliveries, grocery bags, furniture, appliances, or luggage, they move wherever we take them.
Any home can become infested with cockroaches; no matter how clean and organized we keep our homes, there are always crumbs, water leaks, and a bit of clutter for these opportunistic pests to take advantage of.
Where will I find cockroaches?
American cockroaches live outside in damp, dark areas, making Hawaii, its tropical weather, and plentiful vegetation a place where they unfortunately thrive. Flower beds, gardens, and the soil under mulch or fallen trees are places these large roaches often call homes. They also like to hide behind tree bark. If these pests decide to move into your home, you are most likely to find them in your bathrooms and kitchen in spaces under sinks, behind tubs, or wall voids near water pipes.
German cockroaches like to live inside because we provide them with sources of food sources and shelter. German cockroaches hide in dark, damp areas like basements, bathrooms, kitchens, utility rooms, and laundry rooms inside our homes.
How do I get rid of cockroaches?
Remove unwanted and dangerous cockroaches from your property with the help of the local professionals at Pest Tech Hawaii. Our licensed and insured Honolulu pest professionals deliver pest control services in the Aloha spirit! We are committed to providing our customers with a safe and healthy environment free of disease-spreading cockroaches using up-to-date products.
Dedicated to our customers, our team works closely together to offer a full range of customizable pest control and remediation services. If you live in Honolulu and are looking for affordable and reliable home pest control solutions, reach out to Pest Tech Hawaii today! Call today to request an estimate or learn more about our Honolulu cockroach solutions.
How can I prevent cockroaches in the future?
Cockroaches are a difficult pest for anyone to control or eliminate. The following tips will help to make your Hawaii home and property less attractive to these pests:
- Fix leaky pipes and fixtures as soon as you notice they are leaking.
- Keep basements dry using dehumidifiers.
- Properly ventilate crawl spaces, bathrooms, and kitchens.
- Remove trash from your home regularly and place all closed trash bags inside of containers with tight-fitting lids.
- Always pick up unwanted pet food each day before going to bed.
- Inspect secondhand items and deliveries for cockroaches before bringing them into your home.
- Regularly check your foundation and the exterior of your house and repair any cracks or openings that you discover.
I have been using Pest Tech for the unit I manage and my personal property for the last 3 years. They are always on time, makes sure to follow up before regular service, cost efficient and always friendly.
Recent Blog Articles
Request An Estimate
Complete the form below to request your estimate.