Rat Infestations Can Be Especially Tricky To Deal With In Oahu
June 30, 2022
You don't have to have a phobia of rats to want to get rid of them. Not only do rats reproduce very quickly, but they can also grow to be very big and dangerous, in addition to being vectors of diseases. If your property has been invaded by rats, now is the time to understand what causes a rat infestation, learn six of some of the best tips to deal with it, and find out how to get rid of rats for good. Controlling a rat infestation can be tricky, but Pest Tech Hawaii provides quality Oahu home pest control you can rely on to rid your property of these dangerous pests safely and effectively.
Do I Have A Rat Infestation?
Rats in Hawaii are a common sight, but the following signs can help you determine if you have an infestation on your own property:
- If you see rat droppings, it is often a sign that there are rats actively living in your home.
- Rats like to live in safe spaces. If you hear scratching noises, you are likely to have several rats living in your walls.
- Rats dig out holes to access their hiding spots. If you see rat holes in your walls, you probably have a rat infestation.
- If stored food and leftovers in your home have been visibly disturbed, you likely have a pest infestation of some kind. The above signs can help you identify if you are dealing with rats.
If these signs lead you to believe you have a rat infestation, it is crucial that you take steps to control it as soon as possible. Rats reproduce very quickly and can birth an average of 40 offspring every year, each of which can also start reproducing at eight weeks old. The bigger the infestation is, the harder it will be to get rid of.
What Causes A Rat Infestation?
Rats are attracted to homes that can offer chances of survival, generally by providing shelter or food. You are at risk of a rat infestation if there is a way for rats to come inside, something that can be difficult to avoid since they can squeeze through very small cracks on your property. They are also more likely to invade if they can smell food and food waste. If you do not have a habit of cleaning up meticulously after meals, or if you do not take out food waste every day and keep trash cans clean and sealed, you might be unknowingly attracting rats. And finally, leaks will provide a source of water for rats and make it more likely for them to settle into your home.
Here Are Six Tips For Dealing With A Rat Infestation
If you are dealing with a rat infestation, the following six tips can help you regain control of your house:
- Seal all cracks around your home that rats might be using to come inside.
- Be sure to remove all food sources that rats might be using for survival. Likewise, keep your home as clean as possible at all times.
- Consult with a professional to determine which might be the best rat control method based on your own situation.
- In addition, consider natural ways to get rid of rats such as peppermint oil and hot pepper. Do keep in mind that homemade remedies to get rid of rats are mostly ineffective when not coupled with professional pest control methods.
- Keep rat traps around your home even after the infestation is under control to prevent a recurrence.
- Do not leave food and water in your yard if you have pets, as they provide nourishment for rats. Keep fruit trees and vegetable plants well maintained as both ripe and rotting produce will attract rats. Consider sealing off compost piles.
By coupling your own efforts with the experience of a pest control company, you have better chances of getting rid of a rat infestation. Rats are very hard to control, and they are unlikely to go away on their own, making it crucial to get rid of them as soon as possible.
What's The Best Way To Get Rid Of Rats In My Home?
The best way to get rid of rats is going to depend on your own situation and type of rats. If you are unsure of why rats have taken up residence on your property, it might be time to reach out to the professionals. With the help of expert advice, you have a better chance of tackling an infestation before it gets out of control.
Rats are a common pest in Hawaii, and they can be very difficult to get rid of. Once you understand what to do to keep rats at bay, you can get rid of an existing infestation before they have a chance to reproduce. This is best done with the help of a quality rodent control company which can then advise you on the best ways to keep rats from returning. Pest Tech Hawaii in Oahu can help you get rid of these dangerous pests quickly and for good.